Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I was unable to file my income tax report because the IRS says…

I was unable to file...
I was unable to file my income tax report because the IRS says my social security number was used in another income tax report already filed. Is there a report I need to file with Social Security?
4/3/2014
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear that your social security number was used on a tax return filing and now you can't efile.

Megan C :

You do not need to send any information to social security in this regards, XXXXX XXXXX need to paper file your return with the IRS

Megan C :

However you will file Form 14039 with the IRS to let them know what is happening, that way they know which return is correct.

Megan C :

After you complete Form 14039, mail it to the IRS with a copy of your Social Security card and driver’s license. If you don’t have a driver’s license, you can substitute a U.S. Passport, military ID or other government-issued identification card.

Megan C :

But, as far as social security goes there is nothing that you need to file or fill out.

Megan C :

Did you have any further questions about this matter?

Megan C :

If no further questions, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks so much :-)

Thanks for accepting
Thanks for accepting!

Is there any way I will find out if my social security number was used in error on the other income tax report?

Thanks for your follow up. In order to find out if the social security number has been used in error is to call 1-800-829-1040 and talk to someone about your tax account. Only the IRS could inform you of what is happening with your tax account.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Thanks so much!

Megan
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer