Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Im 66 and suspended SS until later. Hopefully 70. My wife…

I'm 66 and suspended SS...
I'm 66 and suspended SS until later. Hopefully 70. My wife is 64 without income. I've been told she should file on my benefits and get 1/2 without hurting my benefits. how do we go about making that happen if it is a good strategy.
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/1/2014
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today

Megan C :

How are you doing?

Megan C :

You are absolutely correct that your wife can collect social security payments on your account, without impacting your benefit

Megan C :

She can do this at any time, but she is under full retirement age, so her amount will be reduced

Megan C :

Her amount would be reduced further if she earns more than $15,480 per year

Customer:

She has no income. turned 64 Jan 8. is it best to wait until she is 65

Megan C :

Well, her full retirement age is actually 66

Megan C :

But, she could wait until 65 and draw

Customer:

So doing it now by going down to the SS office and filing is best?

Megan C :

Yes, or you can do it over the phone if that is more convenient for you

Megan C :

:-)

Megan C :

She could also go online and start the application as well

Megan C :

Did you have any further questions about this matter?

Customer:

Thank you.

Megan C :

You're welcome :-)

Megan C :

If you have no further questions, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C :

Thanks so much!