Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

This question is regarding SSI(suplemental). My mom is 88 years…

This question is regarding SSI(suplemental)...
This question is regarding SSI(suplemental). My mom is 88 years old already and she is by herself in her appartment. Recently, she fell on the floor and hit her but badly. Sometimes, she felt dizzy that she almost fell on the concrete. Our friends telling us that our mom should not be by herself at her age. Anything happen to her would be our(siblings) responsible. And we could get in trouble for that. Is this true?
4/1/2014
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today

Megan C :

How are you doing?

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear about your mother's accident! I hope she is doing well

Megan C :

You would not be responsible for what happened to your mother financially if she were to fall and hurt herself

Megan C :

You do not have any liability here

Customer:

But don't you think we are abandoning our mom because she is by herself. No one to watch her eventhough we are just close by to her apartment?

Megan C :

No, you're doing the best you can. I am sure you have work and other responsibilities

Megan C :

If you are concerned, you can send her to adult day care or have a visiting nurse come and check her daily

Customer:

We as a family are thinking of getting a caretaker for her. Do you know where to apply for this?

Customer:

Do you have any idea how much to pay for a caretaker if we pay from our own pocket?

Megan C :

It would all depend on where you live and the caretaker's rates

Megan C :

Social security does not provide a stipend for this, though

Customer:

who will? we?

Megan C :

No - no one gets any money from social security for this

Customer:

In other words it would be us to pay.

Megan C :

Unfortunately, that would be the case. Unless it was covered by her Medicaid or Medicare

Customer:

She has medicare and medicaid.

Megan C :

Then you can check with Medicaid and Medicare - they may cover a portion of this if it is determined to be medically necessary

Customer:

So it's possible these two agencies could pay?

Megan C :

It is possible, yes

Customer:

So I need to call them in inquire about this.

Megan C :

Yes, I would to see exactly what they would cover and under what circumstance

Customer:

well, thank you for your informations.

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C :

Thanks so much :-)