Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

why do I have to list the names and social security numbers…

Customer Question
why do I have to...
why do I have to list the names and social security numbers of the people I live with?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Social Security
4/1/2014
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 4 years ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Hi, my name is Stephanie and I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing SS law full time for 10+ years and look forward to assisting you.

What do you mean "enroll in covered california" - what does this term mean?

Covered CA is the way the Affordable Care Act for health insurance is conducted in California. I want to know why it is necessary to put the social security numbers of my roommates on the application in order to apply.

Ah, OK, thank you Sherri. Can you please quote me directly, the exact wording of the question on the form you are looking at? Does it say "household members" or does it say "of the people I/you live with?"

If it concerns household this is supposed to be those included on one's 1040:

The Affordable Care Act, although no one seems to know everything about what is stuck in there, is ostensibly meant to provide health insurance for those that couldn't otherwise afford it. Thus, what you pay, if anything, is subsidized by the other taxpayers, if your household income is low enough. To determine if your household income is low enough, presumably, the governement wants to know who is in your household so they can determine what their income may be. To do that, they need to properly identify them and use SS# to see if the income showing up under there SS# jives with what is claimed. However, as per the information provided, at least the healthcare.gov site limits the household members who have to be listed to relatives, and uninsured partners needing insurance, and other dependents. See here: https://www.healthcare.gov/what-income-and-household-information-do-i-provide-when-i-apply-for-marketplace-coverage/

California's Covered CA seem to be the same: see here:
http://articles.latimes.com/2013/nov/24/business/la-fi-healthcare-watch-20131124

I don't have a copy of the form you are trying to fill out, but household members has its limits and is not supposed to include "roommates" or "strangers" that live there but are not family members and are not your dependents; i.e. not on your 1040.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O. Joy, Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, Stephanie

Your online legal resource!

So the fact that I live with my daughter and pay rent to her, means that I have to divulge her SS#? She has a great job at the age of 28 and a child to support. I am trying to get back on my feet after being laid off in 2009. I am on commission and not making near enough to live on my own. In fact I have had a few months where I earned nothing.

First, you will always want to answer the precise question your particular form is asking of you. I am not seeing what form question you are referring to, since you didn't share the quoted language with me.

However, if your daughter is an adult, and not a legal dependent of yours, and if the question you are referring to, above, concerns household income, as per the links I provided above, by the two government sites, you would not include her.

But again, you need to read the exact question - and not mix apples and oranges. Remember the census questions where they want to know everyone living in one place - that had nothing to do with dependents, etc., but people under one roof. Generally, the questions for Obamacare are supposed to concern your household INCOME and dependents involvement - not everyone under the roof if of different households. It sounds like your daughter is simply your landlord, of sorts, and as per the sites above, would not be included.

I understand your financial strain right now, and I wish you the welcome improvement that will surely come your way, hopefully sooner rather that later.