Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Mybenefits511.com ad claiming to increase monthly benefits

Customer Question
mybenefits511.com ad is on just...

mybenefits511.com ad is on just about every radio station claiming yo increase monthly benefits by $1000.00 by changing how you file for benefits. Are you award of this? If so,how is it done?

Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Social Security
12/28/2013
Social Security Expert: LawTalk, Attorney replied 3 years ago
LawTalk, Attorney

Good evening,

I have seen these ads and blogs telling seniors that they can get $1,000 more a month in social security.

Unfortunately, what the headlines don’t tell you is that there is no social security giveaway, and anyone who plans ahead can do this.

Where the mysterious $1,000 a month comes from is by choosing when you are age 62, not to take your social security benefits and wait until age 70 to do so. In doing that the average worker will get about $1,000 per month more in their benefit payment from social security.

If you have already started taking your retirement benefit from social security and have been receiving it for more than a year, it is impossible to do anything about delaying your retirement and getting those additional thousand dollars a month.

While the message about the extra money is not a scam, it really only applies to certain people who are able and willing to postpone taking their benefit until age 70---which few retirees’ are able to do.

It is common knowledge provided to SS recipients before they retire by the government. That ad is a scam and Rush and folks should stop accepting their ad revenue.

The add is actually not a scam in the legal sense----at least in terms of the adds providing false information---but what they do not tell us is that it is addressed to people who have not yet retired, and it clearly fails to mention that you, and I, can get the same information from social security.

So I certainly agree with you that it does seek to take unfair advantage of folks like you and me. But in terms of looking to make money and take advantage of seniors---I personally take offense to these adds, as you do too.

Social Security Expert: PDtax, CPA firm owner replied 3 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner

I went to the link to see exactly what text they promise to expose. Here it is, from the page you are forwarded to when you Google mybenefitds511.com:

"You'll discover if you qualify for . . . A simple way you could get an extra $1,000 added to family members' Social Security checks if they qualify"

This implies use of the FAASF strategy, or filing as a spouse first. If the wage earning spouse has maximum benefits coming, he (no offense, just that the husband is most often the earning spouse) claims his benefits at full retirement and then suspends collecting until age 70. His spouse can then claim on his earning record, generating a 50% benefit (of approx. $1,000 per month based on his max benefit of $2,000 per month). When husband decides to claim (after three more years or so of work, his benefit will have grown another 30% or so. I believe that minor children of the high earner spouse also qualify (think a second marriage).

The web page may have provided accurate information, but it just might not be for everyone.

PDtax
PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner