How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 4551
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds claims to increase social security benefits

This answer was rated: touts a methodology for a social security recipient increasing his or her monthly benefits by up to $1,000. Are you familiar with such methodology and is it plausable?
Thank you for your reply.

I believe I know the strategy they espouse, it is FAASF, or filing as a spouse first. Here's how it works:

A husband and wife have a filing option to claim against their own work record or a reduced benefit of 50% of their spouse's benefit. If one spouse elects to claim against their spouse's work record (let's say 50% of a max benefit for the wife in the traditional earning model). The wife then allows her own benefits to grow until full retirement age to hopefully generate a higher retirement payout.

This is also referred to as 'file and suspend' by the higher income spouse, to allow the lower earning spouse to collect benefits while the higher earning spouse might continue to work, allowing for their total monthly income to increase by 50% of a maximum social security payout, or approximately $1,000 per month.

The strategy is perfectly legit, but your earnings history and payout scenario will dictate if the strategy is appropriate for you.

PDtax and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you