Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Do SS pass through benefits stop for my stepson at the point

Do SS pass through benefits stop for my stepson at the point of divorce. I am 71 and am now representative payee for him. I asked this question previously to Just Answer and received what I believe is an incorrect response. The response was that these benefits didn't stop upon divorce. But the SS website says, "If you have a stepchild who is getting benefits based on your work and you divorce the child's parent, you must tell us as soon as the divorce becomes final. Your stepchild's benefit will stop the month after the divorce becomes final." Could you please check this.

Megan C :

Hello and welcome. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you

Megan C :

First of all, I would like to apologize for any confusion that you may have had regarding this issue.

Megan C :

I hate to add further to that confusion, but you are right - the benefits for your stepchild will stop when you divorce their parent.

Customer:

Thank you.

Megan C :

Benefits for children continue even after divorce, but step children are different. SS looks at this as if it is not your biological child, so you have no obligation to support the child after divorce. As such, the benefits stop

Megan C :

I"m truly sorry that you were told otherwise.

Megan C :

Did you have any further questions?

Customer:

That's okay. Thanks for clearing this up.

Megan C :

No problem. Once you have received the answer you need, please rate my response positive so that I can get credit for assisting you today

Customer:

Okay, I will