How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name isXXXXX have been receiving a portion

This answer was rated:

My name isXXXXX have been receiving a portion of my ex-husband's social security benefits since I turned 66. I am now 68 and I plan on retiring August,2014. I also have worked all this time. How do I find out if I could actually get a higher amount of benefits switching to my own ss benefits? (I was told then that the difference wasn't that much but at the time his was more.) And if I can, when would I start this process? Also, when I originally got my medicare card at 65, it had my social security number on it. When I applied for Social Security and got my ex's I was given a new medicare card with his Social Security number on it instead of mine with instructions to destroy my original card. I was told it was because I was receiving a portion of his ss benefits. I just want to know what I should do, and how soon. Thank you

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you today

Megan C :

How are you doing?

Megan C :

In terms of your benefits, you should contact 1-800-772-1213 as soon as possible to inquire as to how much your own benefit is off your own record.

Megan C :

They should be able to tell you that information over the phone, and get your application switched to your own benefit if it is higher. You could even do this today.

Megan C :

Also, since you're drawing social security off of him, your Medicare is based on his record. No big deal, just keep using it as usual. You'll get another new card if you switch to your own benefit


Thank you for a simple, straight forward answer!! I will call them to get this going. Thank you again.

Megan C and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you