Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

can i claim any kind of suvivor hardship by surviving my brothers

can i claim any kind of suvivor hardship by surviving my brothers who never married or hard ant children, who gets the benefit of their social security income?

Megan C :

Thank you for your follow up questions today.

Megan C :

Unfortunately, you cannot claim benefits from your brothers and sisters. This is true even though they did not have any children

Megan C :

Also, the children would only be eligible for the $255 death benefit

Megan C :

they would not be eligible for any monthly benefits.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry and I wish I had better news for you.

Megan C :

Please let me know how else I can assist you. If not, please rate me positively so that I may receive credit for assisting today

Customer:

Last one right now. My father passed before mother but she never received any of his social security, or military retirement? always wondered bout that we had to support her for years and this government has been no help to our family beleive me, but worthwhile struggle to care for others has no price, just wonderewd how our family fell through all the cracks/

Megan C :

You would have to apply for survivor benefits for your mother, and if her own benefit was greater than his benefit she would not be eligible for anything.

Megan C :

I would go to your local social security office with your mother and see if she is eligible for greater benefits off your father's record.

Customer:

thanks again i will do that i have all the documents necessary. have a good one