Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

hi, can i claim hardship retirement for being care giver to

hi, can i claim hardship retirement for being care giver to mother with dementia? currently 64, started caring for her at 62. forced to take early retirement before i needed to. all relatives previously passes away.

Megan C :

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to help

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You can start your social security retirement at any time once you reach the age of 62

Megan C :

So, you can take your retirement now

Customer:

hi megan, thankyou for the response, my question is I already receive soc. sec. retirement started at 62, can i claim a hardshgip because i had to take early retirement to be the primary care giver for mom? Last brother doing it died suddenly. can i get back pay for the difference in the early rtetirement and full retirement?

Megan C :

Thank you for that information. Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "hardship retirement" and there's no way to get your benefit increased

Megan C :

Unless you suspend your application and decide not to draw

Customer:

can i suspend now and draw at65? my birthday is XXXXX January.

Megan C :

It won't increase your benefits by much- just by 5/9 of 1% a month

Megan C :

less than 1%

Megan C :

If you want to get your full retirement, you can withdraw your application and pay back what you had been given and then draw once you reach full retirement age.

Customer:

I also am the last one living in my family, mother and two brothers passed inthe the last 3 years, soc sec will not pay any death benefits to me even though there are no other living parents or children/ how can that be?

Megan C :

the only ones that can receive death benefits are parents, spouses, or children

Customer:

I;m the last living chid of mothers and they won.t pay the insignificant 255 dollars, i dont get it.

Megan C :

If your mother passes away, you will get the benefit if there is no surviving spouse

Customer:

thanks megan for the time I;ll follow up about mom haven,t receiuved anything yetn and now i,ll try food stamps, good job lady, thanks again

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

If you would, please rate me positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you today