Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I am 66, retired and went on ss at 62. My wife works full time

and draws on my account...
I am 66, retired and went on ss at 62. My wife works full time and draws on my account. My 12 year old son draws on my account as well. I have received a notice that they have over paid my wife and are going to stop her payments. Is this correct?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Thank you for your question, and thanks for requesting me today

Megan C :

How old is your wife?

Customer:

Hello? Where is my answer?

Customer:

My wife is 47

Megan C :

I am asking you supplemental questions

Megan C :

Okay so your wife is 47 and is drawing because she has a child under her care under 16

Megan C :

Unfortunately, if she works her benefit would be reduced

Megan C :

Her reduction is $1 for every $2 above $15,120

Megan C :

How much does she earn?

Customer:

I filled out their questionaire regarding her expected earnings for 2014 and indicated she would earn $40,000 gross.

Megan C :

Okay, yes - she would be overpaid and therefore would have her benefits stopped until the overpayment had been repaid

Megan C :

Then, she would get a reduced benefit, if she's still entitled

Megan C :

I'm sorry if this is not the news you had hoped to hear.

Customer:

The weird part is that they say they over paid her $4,345 so far in 2013. But they only paid her approx $2700.

Megan C :

How long had she been drawing? The overpayment could have also been from 2012

Megan C :

The overpayment is the total they've overpaid over time

Customer:

Yes they say they over paid her in 2013 and reduced her payments for that for this year. But I thought when I became 66 there was no limit on our earnings to draw full benefits.

Customer:

I meant to say 2012.

Megan C :

No, there's no limit on your benefits - your wife's benefits would be based on her age

Megan C :

Anything under age 66 and she gets reductions if she works

Customer:

What about my son's benefits, how much should they be? Will they be reduced because of my wife's overpayment?

Megan C :

Your sons benefits will not be reduced by your wife's work

Customer:

I draw $1747.00

Megan C :

His benefit should be up to 1/2 of yours. Your family maximum is 150% of your benefit. So your wife and son would share 50% of your benefit

Customer:

What is the formula to know how much she and he should be drawing?

Megan C :

Social security would calculate that for you. They would share 1/2 of your benefit, so their benefits would each be 1/4 of your benefit

Megan C :

If your wife stops drawing, your son would draw a full 50%

Megan C :

So really you're better off if you pay back the overpayment and just draw off your son

Customer:

Her reduction is $1 for every $2 above $15,120; so $40000 - $15,120 = $24,880. So do that mean her reduction will be $12,440?

Megan C :

Yes, so her reduction is over $1,000 per month - so if her benefit is less than $1,000 she should not even be getting a benefit

Customer:

But it won't affect mt son's which currently is $1158, correct?

Megan C :

Correct, it will not impact your sons benefit

Megan C :

Your son's benefit is not impacted by your wife's work.

Customer:

Excuse my thick headedness, but that means they can't use his or my benefit to payback her overpayment, correct? If she is not entitled to any benefit because of her income level, how will they get the over payment back?

Megan C :

No, they cannot take his benefit to pay back her overpayment.

Megan C :

I'm thinking that she's entitled to a small amount - maybe $100 or so per month - and so they withhold the check until the overpayment is paid in full. If they can't collect the overpayment from any benefit she's entitled to, then they will ask you to pay it back yourself.

Customer:

Sounds like she shouldn't work so hard!!

Customer:

Thanks for your help. How can I print this out?

Megan C :

You can print using your browsers print function

Megan C :

If there's nothing else I can help you with today, then please rate me positively so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Megan C :

The rating feature is located along the bottom of your screen