Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

having a hard time filling out my SSDI form 33373 question

5. Can not put into...
having a hard time filling out my SSDI form 33373 question 5. Can not put into words
11/7/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

Hi, welcome. I'm Megan and I will be happy to assist today

Megan C :

Basically just tell me in your own words, what type of disability do you have. How is it that you are unable to work?

Customer:

Ok I suffer from PTSD with depressive disorder, lumbar spine degenerative disc disease and spondylosis,I have a bulging disc at my L4 and L5. as well as obstructive sleep apnea

Megan C :

Basically all you have to do is explain how all of that makes it such that you cannot work. For example, with PTSD you can say you get depressed and can't get out of bed some days. For the back issues, you can say that these issues make it difficult for you to sit or stand any length of time.

Customer:

I cannot sit more than 20-30min at a time at a time; stand more than 30min because of left leg muscle weakness; and bending forward more than 30degress as well as lifting more than 25lbs; cannot pay attention; stay focus on one task; stay organized; have to read the same paragraph over and over

Megan C :

All of that you would put on that question. Very good explanation.

Customer:

how more detailed do i have to go for question 5 on that form. Is this good enough?

Megan C :

I think it is good enough...it outlines why you cannot work and that's the purpose of the question

Customer:

this form is so frustrating to fillout because of the question they pose

Megan C :

I understand. Did you need help with any of the other questions?

Customer:

Im looking

Megan C :

ok

Customer:

Section D information about abilities is this just like question 5

Megan C :

Yes, they are looking to make sure that your answers are consistent. I know it's a little redundant

Customer:

can I use the same answer for that?

Megan C :

Yes, you can - you just have to fill out each part of section d

Customer:

How about these question about instructions authority figures or handle dress. obviously i am pulling my hair out. on these questions. I try not get get upset

Customer:

what are they really asking?

Megan C :

Okay with authority figures, they are asking if you get along with those who are above you. Someone with some mental disabilities cannot get along with authority...they become violent or nonresponsive, which prohibits them from working

Megan C :

Some people are so disabled they cannot dress themselves. But, if you can dress yourself without help answer honestly

Customer:

okay

Megan C :

Take a look at the form again, let me know if you have any more questions

Customer:

They ask about shopping, Describe what you shop for and how often do I shop and Iong it take. I barley get out of the house if it not for me wife reminding to do. I appreciate your patience with me.

Megan C :

That's no problem, it's what I am here for

Megan C :

They are seeing if you go out in public.

Megan C :

If you say you can't stand for longer than 30 minutes, but go shopping for 2 hours, then there's something that doesn't add up in the application

Megan C :

They are looking for inconsistencies

Customer:

i see

Megan C :

Are there any other questions you are having trouble with?

Customer:

yes one moe

Megan C :

Okay go ahead

Customer:

they ask about places i ago 19b. I do and that Church and I try to go on a regular bases, just dont understand the next question. How often do i go and how much do i take part.

Megan C :

Looking for inconsistencies. You say you can't work, yet you take on a leadership role at church which requires significant time and effort on your part

Megan C :

There's nothing wrong with going to church. They won't dock you for that, but they're looking for inconsistencies in what you are saying

Customer:

ok.. and again thank you for you patience. two more and will be done

Megan C :

Okay

Customer:

Personal care. is it okay that my wife has to remind me to shave and get haircut because i will for week without. not really thinking about those things until she reminds me.

Megan C :

yes, actually that's going to help you out with your disability case

Customer:

Meals- I do as much as I can until I have to sit down because of the pain in my back

Megan C :

Put that down

Customer:

how do you ansewr what meal do you prpare. can I just put simple meals.

Megan C :

If your wife prepares your meals, put that down

Customer:

I help here a bit

Megan C :

Then you put that down, just put down what you can do

Customer:

what is the correct answer if I hire some to clean and do yard work for question b & c. And that will be the last one. Thanks you so much for your support.

Megan C :

You tell them that you hire it done -- you don't do it

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

im looking but I think I got it. if I have more question I will get back on.

Megan C :

Okay

Megan C :

Before you leave, please rate me positively...because that's the only way I receive credit for assisting today

Customer:

no problem