Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Can I collect on my spouses ssdi? I am 62 and I want to

Can I collect on my spouse's ssdi? I am 62 and I want to collect on my own social security at age 66 but get the ssdi benefit between 62 and 66.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you cannot draw a spousal benefit early and allow your own benefit to reach its maximum at age 66

Megan C :

or 70

Megan C :

So, if you take the spousal benefit at 62 (which it's still the spousal benefit even though it's SSDI) your own benefit will forever be reduced as if you took it at age 62

Megan C :

Did you have any further questions?

Customer:

I want to retire in March 2014 on my own social security. I have read not to do this but I would need the income to live on. No one knows how long they are going to live and I have worked all my life and need a break. My husband has had two major strokes and lucky to have survived. Do you think I am foolish wanting to retire now but on less money?

Megan C :

No, I do not think you are foolish at all. I think it's smart, given your concerns

Megan C :

Quality of life sometimes is better than the extra few dollars you may get

Customer:

Thank you. I am financially prudent. We have prepared a budget and it provides for our basic needs. I just don't want to feel guilty.

Megan C :

You shouldn't feel guilty. I know plenty of retirees that retired early and took their benefits before age 66, and they are fine. The important thing is that you can pay your bills and can live a comfortable life.

Customer:

Thank you for your advice.

Megan C :

You're welcome

Megan C :

Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Gail for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a tax, finance, or social security question. It was a pleasure working with you today