Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I applied for social security in July 2013. My application

I applied for social security in July 2013. My application was approved. However, since I
made too much money this year, I will not receive benefits. I am retired. Do I need to
reapply again the first of the year (2014)? Thank you for your help.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You do not need to file for social security again. Your benefits will start back up after the first of the year.

Megan C :

You have not suspended your benefits, therefore your application is still valid.

Megan C :

If you suspend payments, then you will need to reapply to continue receiving the benefits

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions?

Customer:

Only one. Do you think benefits will start the first of the year or will I have to wait until after I

Customer:

file my income tax for 2013?

Megan C :

The benefits will start back up after the first of the year...but benefits are one month behind, so it will be February before you receive your first check, which is for January

Customer:

ok. I understand now. Thank you very much for your assistance. Have a great day!

Megan C :

You too. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thanks, Elaine for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you need a tax, finance, or social security question answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.