Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

If I earn over the $15,100.00 allowed by Soc.Sec. what amount

If I earn over the $15,100.00 allowed by Soc.Sec. what amount to I have to pay back? Is it on the gross or no the net earnings? Or is it paid back from what they have paid me in soc. sec.?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

If you make over the allowed amount, you have to pay back $1 for every $2 above that amount.

Megan C :

This is calculated using gross, not net

Megan C :

So, if you made $20,000 through October, you will have to pay back $2,500

Customer:

As of the first of August I made $15,200.00. I did not shut off the SS income and by the end of this year will have collected in SS $9,575.00. Will I have to pay back half of what I have collected from the SS income?

Megan C :

How much have you earned total at your job?

Customer:

By the end of the year I will have made $58,900 in watge

Customer:

I mean in wages.

Megan C :

How old are you?

Customer:

64

Megan C :

Okay just making sure you are subject to the reduction.

Megan C :

Now if you make that much money, and still draw social security you would have to repay $21,850

Customer:

I will be 65 in July of next year. My wife will be 63 this month.

Megan C :

Full retirement age is 66

Customer:

I will only have collected from SS $22,980.00 for the year. I did not start back to work until July of this year. What about the SS that is being taken out of each check I receive?

Megan C :

Everyone has to pay the social security tax. Unfortunately, all that does is increase your benefit in the future

Megan C :

But, based on your earnings, you will have to pay pretty much everything you drew for the year back

Customer:

Thank you. I guess it really doesn't pay to continue to work. I only went back for the insurance. If I quit now my earnings will be $38,000. That means I will have to repay $11,400.00 is this correct?

Megan C :

let me do the math really quick

Megan C :

Yes, that's correct

Customer:

If I stop working now my earnings will be $38k. Take the $15,200 from that and I would only have to repay $11,400. is this correct? Do they accept payments?

Megan C :

Yes, that is correct and you can contact them and work out a payment plan

Customer:

Thank you. This has been very helpful. Not exactly what I wanted to learn, but helpful.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry I didn't have better news for you

Megan C :

If you would, before leaving the chat would you rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

Absolutely.

Megan C :

Thanks so much!

Thanks for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you need tax, finance, or social security assistance. It was a pleasure working with you today.