How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am taking care of my mother who is 88 years old and has suffered

This answer was rated:

I am taking care of my mother who is 88 years old and has suffered a recent stroke she cannot take care of herself can I be compensated for taking care of her
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If your mom is a US Military Veteran who served on active duty during any period of war/conflict in the past---regardless of whether she was deployed to a combat zone---she may qualify for a monetary payment to help with at home assisted living. However, this benefit is limited to veterans. If she is a veteran, I will be happy to explain more about this program to you.

But as for Social Security/MediCare, I'm sorry to have to explain that MediCare does not have any program to pay a family or outside caregiver, except in very limited circumstances. MediCare only pays for limited periods of skilled nursing care and therapy at home, and only if certain strict conditions are met----which requires that all services be provided through a Medicare-certified home health care agency. These services are typically provided when someone has been hospitalized, is transferred to a nursing home to convalesce for a period of time and then is returned home while still requiring some level of professional nursing/therapy care. Under no circumstance does social security/MediCare pay for independent caregivers. I am very sorry.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.

Thank you,


LawTalk and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, George. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.