How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5156
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My benefits have been stopped since I graduated High School.

This answer was rated:

My benefits have been stopped since I graduated High School. I'm in college now. How do I get them back?

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 35 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.


If you were receiving benefits as a dependent of a parent, the benefits stop at age 18 or when you graduate HS, which ever is later. And unless you have a childhood disability that occurred before age 22, the benefits cannot be reinstated. Sorry. Thanks for understanding.

Please rate my answer ok or better as you have paid a deposit. But I do not get paid unless you rate the answer ok or better. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I thought if you were in school, you could receive benefits until you were 21. My dad is on total disability.

I am sorry but dependent benefits stop at age 18 whether you are in school or not. And this has been the SSA policy since the 1950's when the allowance for dependent benefits first began. Likewise, it does not matter whether your Dad is also disabled. Again, thanks for understanding as I always feel bad when I give an answer that I know the receiver will not be happy to receive.


Please rate my answer ok or better. Thanks.

dylatess and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you