Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am adopted and 56 years old. My father, an American citizen,

I am adopted and 56 years old. My father, an American citizen, died in 1993 at the age of 72. We've been estranged since 1974 due to spousal abuse. Am I entitled to any of my adopted father's social security, since he died in 1993?

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your father.

Megan C :

Unfortunately, children are not entitled to social security benefits off their late parents, unless they are adult disabled individuals

Customer:

Hi Megan……I been totally disabled since 2003 and have been collecting SSDI since then. Are you saying that my father has to be disabled or that I have to be disabled?

Megan C :

You would have to be disabled, before the age of 22 to draw a benefit off your father's record

Megan C :

If you are drawing off your own record, you would not qualify

Customer:

Ah, I see. Thank you for the information.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry if this is not favorable to your situation.

Customer:

Thank you for your sympathy. I appreciate it.

Megan C :

I always hate giving bad news, but everyone deserves a quick answer

Michael,

I sincerely appreciate your positive rating and generous bonus. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today.