Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

What should I do if my ss # XXXXX been compromised? Who do I

What should I do if...
What should I do if my ss # XXXXX been compromised? Who do I notify?
10/9/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

I'm sorry to hear your social security number has been compromised.

Megan C :

First thing you need to do is put a fraud alert on your credit file. You can do this by calling each credit reporting agency

Megan C :
Megan C :

Then, order your credit reports and check for accounts that you did not open and activity that you are not responsible for. File disputes accordingly.

Megan C :

File a police report in the city in which the identity theft took place.

Megan C :

Then, file a complaint with the FTC by calling 1-877-438-4338

Megan C :

These are the steps outlined by social security in their link, HERE

Customer:

Is this all I have to do? or is there something else. Do I keep checking and paying the credit agencies ad infinitum? Who knows who will end up with it and when something could happen.

Megan C :

When you put the fraud alert on your credit report, you will have to confirm with the credit agency each time you try to open up credit

Megan C :

so it stops accounts from being added without your knowledge.

Megan C :

You should check your credit report for the next few months to see if there is new accounts or anything suspicious

Customer:

Thank you. Anything that has to go through these agencies will be stopped if I don't approve it?

Megan C :

They should be. They have to voice verify with you

Megan C :

So, like if you're at a store trying to open a credit card, it won't go right through

Megan C :

They would have to call, verify your identity, etc

Customer:

I hope there are no loopholes for someone to get through.

Megan C :

Nothing is perfect, but it should be extremely difficult to get anything through. I would just check your credit report quarterly for a couple of years just to verify that nothing has gone on your credit that you did not okay

Megan C :

After a couple of years, you're in the safe zone.

Customer:

thank you very much. Although, it was compromised on line so I wonder about that.

Megan C :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Customer:

the fact that it was on line-- does it present another problem?

Megan C :

No, it does not. It's the same as if someone were to get your social security number off a piece of paper.

Megan C :

They can do the same damage.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions?

Thanks for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a question that needs answered. It was a pleasure working with you today