How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37829
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson is receiving SSI. He is 21. I handle his finances

This answer was rated:

My grandson is receiving SSI. He is 21. I handle his finances because he is not able to. His girlfriend is pregnant. will he be able to obtain fund to support this child?

Good afternoon Kathryn,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. When you say that he is receiving SSI, do you mean Supplemental Security Insurance benefits---the welfare based monthly monetary benefits, or do you mean social security disability insurance?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.

disability. he is bipolar. long hx of hospitaliaztions

Good afternoon Kathryn,

Thank you for your clarification.

Because your grandson is disabled and receiving social security disability, as soon as his child is born, he, or the mother should apply to social security for a child benefit for the baby. Because your grandson is disabled and receiving SSDI benefits, his child will be entitled to a child benefit equal to 50% of that amount your grandson is receiving.

The benefit will be paid to the caretaker of the child, which if that is the mother, social security will pay the money to the mother. While you don’t state what state the child will be living in, it is true that in a majority of states, any money paid by social security to the mother of a child because of the disability of the father, acts as a dollar for dollar offset against any child support that the father would ever have to pay. And because I presume that your grandson earns little if any income above his SSDI benefits, that would mean that he would not be obligated to pay any child support pout of the benefits that he receives for his disability.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.


LawTalk and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Kathryn. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.