Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

When I began receiving SS disability payments, the amount was

When I began receiving SS disability payments, the amount was reduced compared to the yearly statement received. The reason was given that because I an eligible for a state pension, my SS benefits are reduced. Is that correct? It seems unfair to penalize state government workers but not private sector employees as many (teachers) work for lower salaries than we could have made in the private workforce.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Unfortunately, the reduction is correct. It's called the Windfall Elimination Provision, and it applies to those who receive a pension from work where they did not pay into social security

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry and hate to be the bearer of bad news. Please don't shoot the messenger

Customer:

That's ok. It just feels terribly unfair to those of us who chose to work in a lower paying field than our education could have gain us.

Megan C :

I'm truly sorry. It's been this way for a really long time. It was to try to keep people from getting large social security and public sector benefits. It is an unfair provision.

Customer:

Thanks.

Megan C :

Again, I'm sorry

Thanks so much for your positive rating. I wish I had more favorable news to tell you! It was great to be requested, I really appreciate it. Please be sure to come back if you have any further questions.

Thanks!