How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37394
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been out of work since Feb 18, 2013 because of my mother

This answer was rated:

I have been out of work since Feb 18, 2013 because of my mother who had a stroke Jan 2013. I have not been able to make income. I have heard of persons who get paid to take care of their family members. I live with her.
do I qualify to receive pay. My credit is worse than before.. I am a CNA. # XXXXX

Thank You
Barb McMahon

Good morning Barb,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your and your mother's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Despite the occasional rumor that the federal government or social security will pay family members a salary to care for their aged or ill family members, this is simply not the case. There is no such federal program.

The federal government though does fund a program known as the National Family Caregiver Support Program which involved the giving of money to states for services to support family caregivers---but this is not handles in terms of a salary.

Here is a link to a lot of very useful information about this program:

You should contact your state's MediCaid office to ask about any program benefits that might be available to you and your mother based on her need for car, and your apparent inability to work because you must care for your mother.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.

Thank you,


LawTalk and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
It has been my pleasure to assist you Barb, and I hope you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

If you have any follow-up questions to my answers here, you may come back and ask them in this thread---at no additional charge------and I will be happy to assist you.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.