How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I began receiving SS at wife is working full time and

This answer was rated:

I began receiving SS at wife is working full time and plans to retire at 66+ (3 yrs from now) should we plan for her SS?

Good afternoon Hutch,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. I'm not sure that I understand what you are asking. What sort of planning are you wanting to know about? Are you asking about the application process?


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Should she just apply at 66+ or should she wait until she's 70 or is their another option..say if I refund some of my SS payments, that would increase our total SS benifits?

Hi Hutch,

How many months and years have you bee receiving your early benefits?

Do you anticipate that she will need to take her social security benefits at age 66, or will you be able to make do on what income you will have then, without her benefits?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have received benifits for 121 months as of Sep '13
(now about $1750/mo)


We have some 403(K) and Roth $ but wife now makes $30K/yr and that would be missed

Good afternoon Hutch,

Thank you for the additional information.

If you have been receiving benefits for more than a year, then you are not allowed to terminate your claim, pay it back and get a higher benefit later.

While she can retire at 66 and receive her full social security benefit, for each year that she waits between age 66 and 70, her benefit will increase 8%. So, if she is capable of working and earning $30,000 per year for a time, and she isn't absolutely ready to retire, then it might benefit both of you to have her continue working another year or more, rather than taking her benefit at 66.

Also, she may apply for a spouse benefit at that age and get 50% of what your benefit is, and allow her own benefit to increase to age 70. And she could also continue working and because she would be over 66, her work income would not adversely affect her spouse benefit. Then at age 70---or whenever she decided to stop working outside the home, she can switch to her own retirement benefit. That might be the best approach of all to consider.

If you are getting $1750 a month now, she would get about $775 a month and still be able to work---making her income closer to $40,000 for the years she is also receiving her spouse benefit.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.


LawTalk and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Hutch. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

I welcome you to request my assistance in any future legal questions you may have, by simply placing my name in the first sentence of your new question.

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I appreciate your help...perhaps I will seek your council another time