Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I currently owe the SSA an overpayment amount of $25, 813.00

my employer has received a...
I currently owe the SSA an overpayment amount of $25, 813.00 my employer has received a garnishment order for up to 15% which they have been collecting each pay day. here is the issue. because I work for a state instituion we are required to get a W9 with an EIN for any Vendor or business we cut a check to...I and my payroll department have been told that the SSA does not have an "EIN" if that is the case who within the SSA could my payroll department speak with to obtain on letterhead that information? can someone please help me? thank [email protected]
9/26/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You would not have to complete a w-9 form for social security, because they are the government and do not pay taxes.

Megan C :

No w-9 or documentation is needed. You would simply pay social security the overpayment.

Megan C :

If you are insistent on getting something on letterhead, your best bet would be to go to your local social security office and speak to them in person there. They should be able to assist you in getting the information that you need.

Megan C :

There's no way to get hold of a certain department, unless you have been given the direct line of one of the agents.

Customer:

I work for Florida State College at Jacksonville, the only way to place the SSA in their payment system data base is to generate a check....this is the only way they can cut a check to what they would consider a "vendor" who would be the SSA. remember the college has an order to garnish my wages which they are.....they have the money, they don't do "manual checks" how can someone from my payroll department speak to someone who collects the overpayments directly to resolve this issue. they are holding aprox 10K

Megan C :

The only way to get a hold of social security is to call the hotline, which you have done before. The other alternative is to go to the office and speak to a representative there.

Megan C :

There's no separate phone number for different departments.

Customer:

I have called the local SSA office and they keep giving me 1-800 numbers that are not valid....

Megan C :

Could they just force the vendor to work by putting all 0's in for the EIN or all 9s

Megan C :

The number to the national hotline is 1-800-772-1213

Megan C :

The only options to get a hold of social security are: 1) call the national hotline 1-800-772-1213 or 2) visit your local office in person

Customer:

good question Megan....hmm. I'll have to ask if they can make an exception by masking a fake number as an EIN... because we are a state institution, we are required to get an EIN....if I could get something official from the SSA stating that they do not have an EIN that would work too but here again, getting to a person who can write this and place on letterhead. I have called that number and stated succently my issue...all I get is a big run around.

Megan C :

That's because this isn't a normal request. I really can't see social security putting that on letterhead for you.

Customer:

I meant to state because we are state we are required to get a W9...

Megan C :

The thing is, the W-9 is only so that payments can get reported to the IRS, but Social Security is not taxed

Megan C :

It's the government

Customer:

even our leagle department has been involved and sent certified mail with no response.

Megan C :

So it would be circular logic to make the government fill out their own W-9

Megan C :

The only other thing I could tell you is to physically go down to the office, and say look, I have $10,000 I'm trying to give social security and here's the problem.

Customer:

would you be willing to state these things to my payroll person....we need something leagle...

Megan C :

Maybe someone at the local office would assist as you would be sitting right there in their window

Customer:

legal

Megan C :

I'm not an attorney, and our site can't be used for legal advice just general information.

Megan C :

But you would be more than welcome to print the transcript and show them.

Customer:

hmmm. well. that was a waste of 45.00 I was led to belive that I'd be talking to an experienced SSA attorney...not happy...not your issue it's the site....you were next in the queue. you tried.

Customer:

how do I print....

Megan C :

You use your browser's print function. Also, when you get the customer service survey please rate me based on my courtesy and willingness to help rather than your feelings about the site in general

Megan C :

I get penalized for negative feedback on that survey

Megan C :

I'm sorry that social security is so hard to deal with. This is an unusual request, which is why you're getting the runaround.

Megan C :

My recommendation would be to go to the office and speak with someone

Megan C :

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day

Megan C :

What I will do for you is send this question to an attorney. Thanks

David,

Part of issuing a W-9 is to deal with the tax reporting issues related to a payment. The payment is still going to you as the employee and you are the one paying tax on it. So, should the EIN number not be set up as your social security number?

The government doesn't pay tax on the garnishment amount that is collected. That's why no W-9 is necessary. You don't ever need a W-9 for the federal government.

I know this is a huge run around, and I know it's very frustrating. I wish I had a number to someone directly at social security that could help. The most help that I get, is when I speak with someone in person. So, that would be your last resort and your last hope to get what you need.

Please feel free to continue replying to me, because I really want to help you with this issue.

Thanks,

Megan