Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I have been living in North Dakota for the last 7 years. I

I have been living in...
I have been living in North Dakota for the last 7 years. I am thinking of moving to California, at least for 7 months of the year (the rest back in Dakota) but it looks as if I might lose my Blue Cross/Blue Shield coverage because this seems to cover one if one resides in about 7 of the midwestern states.

My question is, if I did move at age 70, do I risk being kicked out of the medicare coverage system? Can any insurer in California say to me, "well, we are required to offer you coverage within the 6 months window of your turning 65 but not after that".

My second question is that the North Dakota coverage is its most expensive product that covers me anywhere in the world. But is that coverage predicated on my being a resident in the State of North Dakota?
9/25/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

You will never be kicked out of the Medicare system based on where you live.

Megan C :

Medicare covers you anywhere in the United States. It is funded by the federal government.

Megan C :

An insurer cannot refuse to give you coverage ... even if it's after you are 65. If you are covered by other insurance and simply need to change plans, you won't be refused for that.

Megan C :

When you can be refused is if you never had any insurance and then all of a sudden want it.

Customer:

My wife and I have bought a small house in Palm Springs. We mistakenly asked for a redirect of our mail from North Dakota and Social Security in ND was notified and they sent out a notice indicating I had to notify them of a change of address. We then rescinded the change of address notice as this seemed to initiate a burearcratic response that just seemed too much. If you can be a bit more precise I appreciate it. If we were to move our address to California does that change anything? Do I then have to notify ND Blue Cross and move it to California Blue Shield? (They are not the same companies and I am told that one should go with Aetna.

Megan C :

If you move your address to California, it would change which Medicare Advantage plans are available to you, but you would not lose Medicare coverage.

Megan C :

So, if you are now California residents, you would need a Medicare advantage plan that is offered to California residents.

Customer:

Thank you.

Megan C :

You're welcome.

Customer:

We have not decided if we are going to become California residents or not.

Megan C :

California is an expensive state to be a resident of.

Customer:

Sorry, for some reason the reply keep sending after I finish a sentence. We have reverted to our ND address as we will try not to become Cal residents. we have to make a decision we know in the not too distant future but we may become snow birds and be in palm springs 5 months of the year. i presume if we do that then everything can remain as is. is that correct

Megan C :

Yes, that would be correct. If you are only in California for 5 months of the year, you would be ND residents for purposes of your insurance, etc

Customer:

thank you megan. that is helpful.

Christopher,

Thank you so much for your positive rating. Please come back and visit me any time you have a tax, finance, or social security question. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In the future you may receive a short survey. Positive feedback on that survey is greatly appreciated, as it will assist me with rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.