How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask dylatess Your Own Question
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 5155
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
dylatess is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband is 74 years old...he has ALS and has had it for

This answer was rated:

my husband is 74 years old...he has ALS and has had it for over a year..can he apply for disability? he collects social security now.

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 35 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.


Thanks for your question. Note, once you start collecting SS retirement, you cannot also collect SS disability. So what the SSA told you is correct. Also note that persons on SSD are eligible for Medicare, parts A and B after 24 months of collecting SS disability. Likewise, in your husband's case, he is collecting SS retirement AND is eligible for Medicare. Therefore he is not entitled to any additional benefits.


I wish you both well. Pease be so kind as to rate my answer ok or better so that I am paid for helping you.

dylatess and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you

Related Social Security Questions