Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I qualify as an independently entitled divorce spouse. I am

Customer Question

I qualify as an independently entitled divorce spouse. I am 55 years old & was married for 30+ years. My divorce was final June 2013. For most of those years, I was a full time stay at home mom & will never have the earning potential my ex husband has as he is a physician. When, if ever, may I remarry and still collect social security via my ex-husband.

I have researched much & understand that these laws change often. Still, I genuinely appreciate any clarification you may provide.

Thank you!
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

The divorced spouse benefits are only available while you are unmarried. If you get married, those benefits would cease unless you subsequently ended that marriage by divorce or death.

Megan C :

However, if your ex husband DIES, you can draw a survivor benefit.

Megan C :

And you can draw a survivor benefit even if you remarried after the age of 60.

Megan C :

I know this doesn't make much sense, but that is how it is set up.

Megan C :

Do you have any further questions about this matter? If not, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer