How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

XXX-XX-XXXX I retired in 1996 my wife (spouse) retired in 1994-95

This answer was rated:

XXX-XX-XXXX I retired in 1996 my wife (spouse) retired in 1994-95 s.s.#NNN-NN-NNNN
she retired with larger amount then I did .My wife died july 23 2001. Was I initialed to
receive the larger amount?

Good morning Robert,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you were married to your wife when she passed, and you were at least 65 years old at that time, then you would have been entitled to a spouse survivor claim equal to the amount that she was receiving on her death.

While it is not possible to make a claim now for all of the additional benefits that could have been paid to you, you are eligible to apply for your survivor benefit now and they will pay you retroactively for 6 months, the difference between what you were receiving, and the amount you were eligible for under your survivor benefit.

In order to apply, you will need to take your marriage certificate, your wife's death certificate and both of your social security numbers to the local social security office and they will process your claim for both retroactive benefits as well as your future survivor benefit.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.


LawTalk and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Robert. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:

Thanks again.


When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.