How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37854
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question. My husband is 57 years old and has worked

This answer was rated:

I have a question. My husband is 57 years old and has worked in the car industry for many years. He has had several surgeries on his feet over the years. He recently has seen a doctor that told him he would have to have implants put in his feet or other surgeries to
fix his feet. He took some time off to get off his feet to let them heal a little. He gets where he can't even walk on them and is always in pain. Being in the car industry for 14+ years
he has to walk on concrete all day sometimes 12 hrs per day. Is it possible to apply for early retirement or disability do to this condition?

Good morning Angie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your husband's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Whether he can qualify for early retirement through his employer is only something that the employer can answer, as I have no information about any retirement plan he might have at work.

However, as for disability, he needs to consider filing for social security disability. Under the social security regulations, social security's definition of disability is as follows:

"Disability" under Social Security is based on your inability to work. We consider you disabled under Social Security rules if:

  • You cannot do work that you did before;
  • We decide that you cannot adjust to other work because of your medical condition(s); and
  • Your disability has lasted or is expected to last for at least one year or to result in death.

Here is a link where you can apply online for your benefit: benefit will be about the same as his full retirement age retirement benefit.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.


LawTalk and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you

It has been my pleasure to assist you Angie, and I hope you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

If you have any follow-up questions to my answers here, you may come back and ask them in this thread---at no additional charge------and I will be happy to assist you.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:

Thanks again.