How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 59 year old female, turning 60 in February and am being

Customer Question

I am a 59 year old female, turning 60 in February and am being forced to retire from my present job that I have held for the past 25 years. I was married to a man that passed away back in 1984. I remarried and am presently divorced. A co-worker told me that I can actually collect Social Security benefits at age 60 from my first husbands benefits. Is this true? If it is what do I need to do? Thanks you?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately, this is NOT correct. To qualify to receive benefit payments based on your former spouses account you must have been married for at least 10 years, not remarried and be at least 60 years old. Since you have remarried you do not qualify.