Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am 62. I have 4 children under 18 living with me. I am eligible

Customer Question

I am 62. I have 4 children under 18 living with me. I am eligible for maximum benefits. If I elect to take early retirement, how much will my children receive?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today?

Megan C :

Your children will share a benefit of 50-80% of your benefit. The most that your family can draw is 150-180% of your own benefit

Megan C :

You receive 100% of your benefit so they will share a benefit equal to 50-80% of your benefit

Megan C :

To find out the exact benefit, you would need to call 1-800-772-1213 or visit your local office.

Megan C :

You can read more about child's benefits, here: http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/yourchildren.htm

Megan C :

Do you have any other further questions?

Megan C :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer