SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant
58285678

If a same couple lives in a state where marriage is legal

If a same sex couple lives in a state where marriage is legal & they married, are they allowed to collect survivors benefits if they move to a state that does not recognize same sex marriages? The new rulings that were announced last week stated that the IRS, US Treasury & many others said same sex marriages would be recognized, if they moved to a state that did not allow same sex marriages yet, because you are still married regardless of where you live. But, we are not sure if Social Security benefits fall into the rulings,,even though it is part of the Fed, government? Thank you
Thank you for contacting us today. My goal is to help you deal with your S.S. matters with less hassle and provide you with a peace of mind.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

Q: If a same sex couple lives in a state where marriage is legal & they married, are they allowed to collect survivors benefits if they move to a state that does not recognize same sex marriages?

A: At this point, the answer is no. SEE BELOW:

Social Security and Medicare benefits—two cornerstones of retirement planning long enjoyed by most married Americans—will be a bonanza for couples in the 13 states that recognize gay marriage. Gay and lesbian couples will be eligible for valuable spousal and survivor benefits that could be worth tens, maybe hundreds, of thousands of dollars to each household.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323823004578595491100933204.html

Based on the above information, you would need to stay in a state where same sex marriages are legal.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

As we know that you have choices, we thank you for choosing this Q&A service today.