Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I fractured my shoulder on February 25, 2013 and was not able

I fractured my shoulder on February 25, 2013 and was not able to return to school for the rest of the year. I was out of sick days so I did not get paid during this time. Obviously, it has greatly affected my income for 2013. I returned to school on September 3, 2013 and will remain employed until June, 2014 when I plan to retire. Will this lower income for 2013 affect my social security benefits. It does not reflect my actual income.

Megan C :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

Megan C :

How are you today>

Customer:

good, thank you. How are you?

Megan C :

Your social security benefit is based on your top 30 years of earnings

Megan C :

So if you earned more during 30 other years, then this will have absolutely no impact on your benefits

Megan C :

If you did not work a full other 30 years, or if this is still one of your highest years of earnings it will be figured into the calculation but the impact will be minimal.

Customer:

So basically, my benefits are based on my top 3 years of earnings?

Megan C :

30 years

Customer:

So benefits are based on what I have earned for the last 30 years?

Megan C :

Yes, that is correct - the highest 30 years of your work history

Customer:

Thanks

Megan C :

You're welcome. Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

Megan C :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

I don't think so. Just want to complete this SS application correctly

Megan C :

Okay thanks

Customer:

It says you are not finished answering and won't allow me to give you excellent credit. What should I do?

Megan C :

You can rate now

Megan C :

Now that you are satisfied, I disabled a feature

Thanks, Pat for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a few days you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey will be greatly appreciated, as it will assist me with rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.