Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Hi - My mom and dad have no income and are us residents. they…

Hi - My mom...
Hi - My mom and dad have no income and are us residents. they are both 60. I was supporting them but no longer afford to, I have recently become unemployed.

They make about 5000 in babysitting. Would it help if they declare this income and file taxes? Will that help them with SSI when they become eligible after 65? Also, would they qualify for food stamps/SNAP/energy assistance before SSI kicks in?
9/10/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Declaring the income from babysitting will help your parents get credit for social security, but they need 40 quarters of credit to qualify. This is 10 years of work.

Customer:

and what difference would that make?

Customer:

and also if they declare higher income will the 40 credits be obtained faster?

MyVirtualCPA :

No, they would not be earned any faster.

MyVirtualCPA :

But they could be eligible for SSI which is a low income benefit

Customer:

okay, understood. so there is no benefit in declaring the income vb not declaring since SSI will kick in automatically at retirement, correct?

MyVirtualCPA :

That is correct

MyVirtualCPA :

And earning only $5,000 they should be eligible for food stamps and energy assistance

Customer:

okay, understood.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else that you need assistance with today?

Customer:

but if they declare this little income for 5 years than add the ssi, would that count after the 40 credits are accumulated?

MyVirtualCPA :

They don't need the 40 credits for SSI

Customer:

I mean after the 10 years, 5 without SSI and 5 with. What implications will that have, if at age 70 they reach 40 credits?

MyVirtualCPA :

Then they would start getting benefits

Customer:

on top of the ssi, correct?

MyVirtualCPA :

That is correct

Customer:

and is there a maximum, any public guidelines on what the amounts are as of 2013?

MyVirtualCPA :

You can call 1-800-772-1213 and they can tell you, because it varies by individual

Customer:

understood and thank you

Customer:

have a good night

Thank you Marina for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.