Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I retired from the Federal Government in February 2011 under…

Customer Question
I retired from the Federal...
I retired from the Federal Government in February 2011 under the CSRS system and began drawing my Government pension. In June of 2011 I began to work as a consultant contractor to my old organization where work about 100 days per year. I still maintain my federal health care plan through NALC which covers my wife and myself. I retired under Social Security in July 2004 and began drawing my social security pension while working full time. When I retired from the Federal Government in 2011, my Social Security pension payment was lowered by about half under the windfall elimination law. I signed up for Medicare Part A as soon as I was eligible in March of 2004. I have not signed up for Medicare part B. My wife is turning 65 next month and and wishes to sign up for Medicare Parts A and B and has encouraged me to sign up for Part B as well. My question is will I have to pay a late enrollment penalty if I sign up now since I have been working and maintained my Federal health benefits since retiring from the Federal Government. If so how will it be calculated? I was nearly 72 years old when I retired from the Federal Government.
Thanks,
Paul
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Social Security
9/8/2013
Social Security Expert: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 years ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law
Hello Paul: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Your Question:

Response:
No, because you have had health care coverage since you retired. Once your health care coverage ends, you have eight (8) months to enroll in Medicare Part B with no penalty. This is the Special Enrollment Period. For more information, click on the link below:

Medicare & You Handbook

The medicare booklet says "

you can sign up for Part A and/or Part B:

■Anytime you’re still covered by the group health plan.

■During the 8-month period that begins the month after the

employment ends or the coverage ends, whichever happens first."

My employment with the Federal Government ended in February 2011 but i continue to have my Government healthcare plan plus I am working as a contractor but not an employee of the FederalGovernment. Does this this mean i can signup for Medicare B anytime i want to as long as i ma employed and still covered by my Government provided health insurance paid by deduction from my pension payments?

The medicare booklet says "

Response: Yes, that's how I would interpret that provision.

I will provide a rating when I have results from Social Security after applying for part B. The rating will be excellent if your advice was correct and not so good if it was not.

PAG