Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

I retired from the Federal Government in February 2011 under…

Customer Question
I retired from the Federal...
I retired from the Federal Government in February 2011 under the CSRS system and began drawing my Government pension. In June of 2011 I began to work as a consultant contractor to my old organization where work about 100 days per year. I still maintain my federal health care plan through NALC which covers my wife and myself. I retired under Social Security in July 2004 and began drawing my social security pension while working full time. When I retired from the Federal Government in 2011, my Social Security pension payment was lowered by about half under the windfall elimination law. I signed up for Medicare Part A as soon as I was eligible in March of 2004. I have not signed up for Medicare part B. My wife is turning 65 next month and and wishes to sign up for Medicare Parts A and B and has encouraged me to sign up for Part B as well. My question is will I have to pay a late enrollment penalty if I sign up now since I have been working and maintained my Federal health benefits since retiring from the Federal Government. If so how will it be calculated? I was nearly 72 years old when I retired from the Federal Government.
Thanks,
Paul
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Social Security
9/8/2013
Social Security Expert: PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law replied 4 years ago
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law
Hello Paul: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Your Question:

Response:
No, because you have had health care coverage since you retired. Once your health care coverage ends, you have eight (8) months to enroll in Medicare Part B with no penalty. This is the Special Enrollment Period. For more information, click on the link below:

Medicare & You Handbook

The medicare booklet says "

you can sign up for Part A and/or Part B:

■Anytime you’re still covered by the group health plan.

■During the 8-month period that begins the month after the

employment ends or the coverage ends, whichever happens first."

My employment with the Federal Government ended in February 2011 but i continue to have my Government healthcare plan plus I am working as a contractor but not an employee of the FederalGovernment. Does this this mean i can signup for Medicare B anytime i want to as long as i ma employed and still covered by my Government provided health insurance paid by deduction from my pension payments?

The medicare booklet says "

Response: Yes, that's how I would interpret that provision.

I will provide a rating when I have results from Social Security after applying for part B. The rating will be excellent if your advice was correct and not so good if it was not.

PAG

PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq.
PhillipsEsq., Attorney-at-Law