Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

The husband at age 66 takes full retirement, can his wife at…

Customer Question
The husband at age 66...
The husband at age 66 takes full retirement, can his wife at 62 receive a spousal benefit ? If yes, what is the percentage of the husband's annual payout ? And, with the 62 year old wife working, is that annual S.S. payout reduced when the wife surpasses an annual income amount ?
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Social Security
9/7/2013
Social Security Expert: Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 4 years ago
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, the wife can take a benefit at age 62, but it will be about 35% of the husband's amount. However, if she waits until full retirement age of 66 she will get a full 1/2 of his benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

The wife's benefit would be reduced if she earns more than $15,120 per year. The reduction is $1 for every $2 above that amount.

MyVirtualCPA :

So in short, the wife can draw a benefit at age 62 equal to roughly 35% of the husband's amount. This would be further reduced by any earnings that surpass $15,120

MyVirtualCPA :

Once she reaches age 66 she can earn an unlimited amount without reduction of benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions?

JACUSTOMER-q82rsj7d- :

at 66, can the wife reapply to SS for her own revised 100% full retirement payout and drop the 35% of the husband program and continue to earn an unlimited amount without any further reduction of benefits ?

MyVirtualCPA :

No, you cannot get your own full benefit after taking a spousal benefit early

MyVirtualCPA :

She would be able to get her own reduced benefit - at the same level as it would have been at age 62, making it pointless to draw the spousal benefit early

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

JACUSTOMER-q82rsj7d- :

Am I correct in thinking that a 62 yr old wife and a 66 yr old husband are better off financially, applying separately and without the so called "spousal benefit" ?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that is correct

MyVirtualCPA :

if she's applying at age 62 you're better off just having her get her own benefit

JACUSTOMER-q82rsj7d- :

With the 62 year old applying on her own, and continuing to work, her benefits would still be reduced when exceeding the 15k threshold--correct ? However, at 66, she can earn any amount without a reduction in benefits--also correct ? But, initially applying at 62 will permanently reduce the benes she would have received had she waited until 66 ?

MyVirtualCPA :

That is all correct. Her benefits are still reduced when she earns more than $15k, and at 66 she can earn an unlimited amount. However, her benefit is permanently reduced if she draws early. If she waits until 66 she will get a higher benefit

JACUSTOMER-q82rsj7d- :

Final question...From what I've given you, under what conditions would a --spousal benefit make sense ?

MyVirtualCPA : Based on this a spousal benefit would not make sense unfortunately. I wish I had better news for you
MyVirtualCPA : Is there anything else I can help you with?
MyVirtualCPA : If not please rate my response as excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today
Paul,

Thanks for requesting me directly and thanks for the opportunity to assist. In order for me to receive credit for assisting you, I would need a positive rating from you. Please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer