Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Kindly clarify spouse benefit. Will I (the wife) be getting

Kindly clarify spouse benefit. Will I (the wife) be getting SSS spouse benefit and my husband be getting SSS retirement benefit when each of us reach 65 (we have 10 years age difference)?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can apply for social security benefits any time after the age of 62

MyVirtualCPA :

Your full retirement age is 66

Customer:

The full retirement age you specified is for a spouse, right?

MyVirtualCPA :

It's for either a spouse or an individual

Customer:

But my question was will both of us be getting benefit from SSS (One retrement and the other spouse benefit)?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, if that is how you file. If 1/2 of his benefit is greater than your own benefit, you would start the spousal benefit at age 66

Customer:

Thanks

Thanks, Marie for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security questions. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. Your positive feedback on that survey is greatly appreciated. Thanks!