Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

If a child receives social security death benefits gets married…

If a child receives social...
If a child receives social security death benefits gets married gets married and is still going to college,will the benefit stop?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/7/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How old is the child drawing the benefit - are they drawing an adult disabled benefit?

MyVirtualCPA :

The reason I ask is that benefits stop at age 18, or up to age 19 if the student is still in high school

MyVirtualCPA :

Benefits won't continue into college.

MyVirtualCPA :

If the child has an adult disabled child benefit, then it would stop once they get married

Customer: The child is 17.The child is not drawing an adult disability benefit.The child will be in high school.
MyVirtualCPA :

And they will be getting married before the age of 18?

Customer: No
MyVirtualCPA :

Okay then the benefits stop at age 18....they don't continue on to college

Customer: The child will still be 19 while in high school
MyVirtualCPA :

Well, then she can get benefits until they graduate high school, but no later than age 19. So, once they turn 19 the benefits stop

MyVirtualCPA :

And if the child marries, the benefits stop as well

Customer: Why did you just put in that last piece of info after I was happy with answer benefit going to age 19
MyVirtualCPA :

You asked what happens if the child marries

Customer: But I asked that before an you can back with what age the child would be in high school.Nothing about marriage
MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry. Your question reads "If a child receives social security death benefits gets married gets married and is still going to college,will the benefit stop?" You mentioned marriage, so I thought you wanted to know

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry if I gave you information that you did not want

Customer: No,the child will still be in high school at age 19
MyVirtualCPA :

So then, the benefits go to the 19th birthday and then they stop

Customer: So,I now understand that the marriage will have nothing to do with it.Correct?
MyVirtualCPA :

That is correct

Customer: Thank You.I am happy with this answer.
MyVirtualCPA :

OKay, if you would, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent' so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thank you so much for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you will receive a short survey. I would appreciate if you would fill the survey out, as the positive feedback on that survey will assist me with my rankings on the site. Thanks