Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My Wife and I are both 62. She has retired from her Job but…

My Wife and I are...
My Wife and I are both 62. She has retired from her Job but hasn't applied for her SS. I will wait until I'm 66 before I retire. If my wife applies for her SS right now she will get $506 a month. When I retire at 66 I will get appx. $2258 a month. My question is if my wife applies now and starts collecting her $506 a month can she change it when I turn 66 to collect half of mine which is higher than her $506 dollars?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

Your wife could certainly do that, but her benefit won't be a full 1/2 of your benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

Based on the figures you gave me, her benefit if she opted to do that would be more around the neighborhood of $932

MyVirtualCPA :

this is because her benefit will always be reduced because she took social security early.

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions, or do you need me to walk you through anything?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

If I get this right my wife can apply now and get her $506 a month until I retire at 66 then she can re-apply and get the $932 a month instead of the $506 a month. The only penalty is she would forfeit a few hundred dollars, "half of mine" because she originally filed early.

MyVirtualCPA :

That is correct

Customer:

Thank You Very Much! I think our Gov. SS Dept. needs to hire some real Americans to explain things correctly. I hate to sound that way but our Government is trying to be to P. C.

Customer:

I will rate you as Excellent!

MyVirtualCPA :

Okay great, thanks! You can use the rating feature along the bottom of your screen.

Thanks, Ken for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a few days you may receive a short survey. Please fill out that survey favorably, as that will assist us in remaining in good standing on the site.