Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

My husband passed away January 25, 2006. He was receiving Social…

My husband passed away January...
My husband passed away January 25, 2006. He was receiving Social Security at the time.
I turned 60 last Dec. 2012. Am I eligible to receive a reduced pension under my husbands SS??
9/5/2013
LawTalk, Attorney

Good afternoon Maggie,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you have not remarried prior to your 60th birthday, and you are now at least 60, you are entitled to a survivor benefit based on the lifetime earnings of your deceased husband.

Because you are choosing to take the benefit earlier than your full retirement age of 66, the amount of your benefit will be 71.5% of what your husband's full retirement benefit would have been, or if he was already receiving social security retirement benefits at his death, 71.5% of the benefit that he was receiving at the time.

You will need to take a copy of your husband's death certificate, as well as your marriage certificate to him, to the social security office to prove eligibility, and then they will initiate your survivor benefits.

For each month you delay taking your survivor benefit after age 60, your benefit will increase monthly by approximately 0.4% per month---which is the equivalent of about 4.7% more per year. So for example, if you wait until age 60 and 6 months before starting your survivor benefit, you will instead of receiving 71.5% of his full benefit, you will receive about 73.9% of his full benefit.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Maggie. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.

LawTalk, Attorney