Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

Is it possible to compare what I could get in SS benefits from…

Is it possible to compare...
Is it possible to compare what I could get in SS benefits from my deceased first husband to what I am receiving from my husband who just passed away in April. I barely get enough Social Security to get by now.
9/4/2013
LawTalk, Attorney

Good evening Prudence,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry for your loss. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You can ask social security to determine whether you would receive more by maintaining the survivor benefit of your recent deceased spouse, or by claiming a survivor benefit of your ex husband who has also passed. You will need to take a copy of your ex's death certificate, as well as your marriage certificate to him and the divorce decree to the social security office to prove eligibility, and then they will run a comparison and pay you the greater of the two survivor benefits.

So, if your ex husband earned more income during his lifetime than did your recently deceased husband, you social security benefit will immediately increase.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.

Doug

LawTalk, Attorney

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Prudence . It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.