Social Security

Ask social security questions and get answers ASAP

I worked for the Hawaii County Fire Dept from 1967 - 2000 and…

I worked for the Hawaii...
I worked for the Hawaii County Fire Dept from 1967 - 2000 and worked a full-time job for 2 yrs before the fire dept. and continued working part-time jobs to earn social security credits (forty quarters) because the county did not deduct S/S payments from the firefighters' pay. I retired from the Air Guards (1977 - 1995 +3 yrs active service in the Army 1962 - 1965)- all paid into the S/S system.
I applied for S/S at age 62. I received less than half of the qualified contributions that I was entitled to received. The reason was because the state retirement system did not pay S/S for the county fire fighters. I full filled my 40 quarters by working on off-duty days.
Why was I penalized because the State retirement system did not?. I recently heard a brother fireman was not penalized and is receiving the full S/S payments he was entitled.
Is there a flaw in the system? I am now 69 yrs.old.

XXXXX XXXXXo
9/3/2013
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Unfortunately, you are subject to the windfall elimination provision which adjusts your social security entitlement based on other retirement pensions you get where you did not pay into social security.

MyVirtualCPA :

To not be subject to the WEP, you would have to have 30 years of social security work

MyVirtualCPA :

So your brother either worked for a department that contributed to social security or worked other jobs where he paid into social security.

Customer:

what is considered 30 yrs of ss work? What does 40 qtrs have to do with qualifying for ss

MyVirtualCPA :

40 quarters is the minimum to even qualify. 30 years of ss work is 120 quarters. You need 120 quarters to NOT be subject to WEP.

MyVirtualCPA :

You only need 40 quarters to qualify. That's just to be eligible to even receive a check.

MyVirtualCPA :

It's not really fair, but unfortunately that's how the system is set up.

Customer:

I worked for over 30 yrs on jobs (part-time, military)that paid ss. Doesn't that count?

MyVirtualCPA :

You have to have "substantial earnings" in those years

MyVirtualCPA :

Let me find you the substantial earnings chart

Customer:

ok thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm still looking. When I don't need it, I have it and the second I need it I can't seem to find it

MyVirtualCPA :

http://financialducksinarow.com/4415/substantial-earnings-with-regard-to-wep/

MyVirtualCPA :

There's a chart that goes up to 2011

MyVirtualCPA :

Okay I found the chart on social security :

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

MyVirtualCPA :

it's the second page.

Customer:

ok, i will look in that website . Thank you.

Customer:

I will look it up.

Customer:

I will look it up. Mahalo!

MyVirtualCPA :

No problem. You have to earn at least the amount of substantial earnings for that year to count

MyVirtualCPA :

If you would, before you leave, please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer: OK, will that qual
MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry all I got was "will that qual"

Customer:

will that put we in the 30 yr bracket with substantial pay? LOL.. have a good day.

Thanks, Tom for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a few days you may receive a short survey. Please fill that survey out favorably, as that will assist me with my rankings on the site. Thanks again for being a valued JA customer.