How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be relocating from New York State to MA. I receive

This answer was rated:

I will be relocating from New York State to MA. I receive a pension as a retired school administrator. I will want to collect Social Security in four months. Will I be able to collect Social Security living in MA?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to provide you with excellent service, and help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you can collect social security living in MA

MyVirtualCPA :

You can collect social security no matter where you live, with the exception of a few countries

MyVirtualCPA :

But you can still draw your benefit in MA. Is there anything else you need assistance with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please let me know if I have provided you with excellent service today


So you are saying I can collect a NYS public pension and social security as a MA resident?

MyVirtualCPA : Yes, but your social security benefit may be reduced

Why and by whom?

MyVirtualCPA : living in MA will not play a role in this
MyVirtualCPA : Social security would reduce them because you get a public pension. It's called the windfall elimination provision
MyVirtualCPA : The formula is very complex but if you call 1-800-772-1213 they will calculate this for you

Oh is that something I discuss with a SS rep?

MyVirtualCPA : Yes it is

Thank you

Megan C and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you