How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16579
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired firefighter from a town in Ill. I get a pension

This answer was rated:

I am a retired firefighter from a town in Ill. I get a pension from the town, I know I don't get my full SS benefit but my question is this. My wife passed away last year and I was told because of my pension I don't get any of her SS benefits, is this true?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you tody?

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry to hear about your loss

MyVirtualCPA :

You would be subject to the "government pension offset" on your survivor benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

So, your survivor benefit would be reduced by 2/3 of your pension benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if 2/3 your pension is greater than your survivor benefit you would not get a benefit

Customer: So after paying into SS for years and having all my quarters in I get nothing from my wife Ss
MyVirtualCPA :

If you have 30 years of earnings, then you are not subject to the government pension offset

MyVirtualCPA :

But if you have less than 30 years, unfortunately you are subject to those rules

Customer: What do you mean 30 years of earnings. How do I find out?
MyVirtualCPA :

You could contact social security and get a copy of your earnings record. If you have 30 years of work where you paid into social security you would be good

Customer: I have to have 30 years of earnings or does my wife in order for me to get part of her's. ?
MyVirtualCPA :

You have to have the 30 years to not be subject to the government pension offset

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any additional questions?

Customer: No
MyVirtualCPA :

Have I provided you with Excellent Service today

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm truly sorry that I didn't have better news

Customer: Service was good but it still a confusing answer
MyVirtualCPA :

Okay. If you would please rate my service using the rating scale along the bottom of the screen

Megan C and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Thanks, Wayne for your positive rating. PLease come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today