Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I started working in this country a few years ago. And would

I started working in this country a few years ago. And would want to know (Q1) How long should I work so that I would have SS benefits upon retirement age? (Q2) How long should I work so that I would have SS Disability Benefits?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

To get retirement benefits, you need 40 quarters (10 years) of work history

MyVirtualCPA :

To be eligible for disability benefits, you need to have 20 quarters (5 years) of work

MyVirtualCPA :

Your benefit will be based on your salary while you work. The more you make, the higher your benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions?

MyVirtualCPA :

If you have no further questions, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

Since I lack 5 years of work, I receive LTDI from a private insurance company. Can I use a portion of this to contribute to my SS retirement?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your follow up. No, you cannot use LTDI payments as work experience for your social security record. Only wages that you are paid that have social security taken out of them count

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any other further questions?

Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I forgot to ask wether the years of work is part time or full time.

Hello, and thanks for your reply. I'm glad I can further clarify the issue for you.

The work can be part-time. It does not have to be full time.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know if you need anything else. If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.