Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My wife is thinking of taking early Social Security at age

My wife is thinking of taking early Social Security at age 62 but I plan on continuing to work for a few years. Will my income reduce her social security payment?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Your work income will NOT impact her benefit amount.

MyVirtualCPA :

However, depending on how much you make a portion of her payment may be taxable.

MyVirtualCPA :

You can get a calculator that will tell you how much of her social security is taxable by CLICKING HERE

Customer:

The calculator really helps and is better than any I found. What about if I retire----does my military retirement payment affect her social security payment? How about my social security payment, if I take that before full retirement age?

MyVirtualCPA :

Your military pay will not impact her social security payment at all

MyVirtualCPA :

It will not impact your benefit either

Customer:

Thank you so much! You really eased my concerns, as we plan for the next phase of our lives.

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm glad I could help.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else you need? If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting today

Thanks, Dallas for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax, finance, or social security needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.

In a couple of days you may receive a short survey. I would appreciate it if you would fill the survey out favorably, as this will assist with my rankings on the site.

Thanks again for being a valued JustAnswer.com customer