Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

getting married an i collect social now will my wife collect

getting married an i collect social now will my wife collect my social security chech in full after my death. i know you need nine months of marriage to collect social security

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, when you pass away your wife can get up to 100% of your benefit check.

MyVirtualCPA :

It would be reduced slightly if she took the benefit between the ages of 60-66, but once she reaches 66 she gets 100% of the benefit.

MyVirtualCPA :

At age 60, it would be 70% of your benefit, and each year that percentage would increase

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions? IF not, please rate my response as excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today