Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

for Alexia or Stephanie. How easy is it to reach a "disability

analyst" by phone whose name...
for Alexia or Stephanie. How easy is it to reach a "disability analyst" by phone whose name and phone number provided on the forms sent to me to be filled out? When I call the analyst can I request that my father be added to the phone call -- to make it a three way conference call where my father can also ask questions? Are these phone conversations recorded? How much weight do the analysts have in deciding the disability? CAn the analysts on their own decide that no additional physical exams are needed? the letter says that that it is analyst, level 2. How experienced is level 2? How many levels are there for the analyst? Do you recommend or is it common to follow up with a letter summarizing the phone conversation. Do the analysts require to answer your written inquires? Should the analysts provide you with a an e-mail address - or the only means of communication is by phone and writing?
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/19/2013
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

for Alexia or Stephanie. How easy is it to reach a "disability analyst" by phone whose name and phone number provided on the forms sent to me to be filled out? If his title is "adjudicator" or "disability analyst" and it is at the State office (vs. your local field office, it is not to bad to at least get voicemail - usually. If it is a state office (not local field office), the header will include the name of the department that the State uses to adjudicate state claims (such as, "Disability Disability Services" or, some states even use a created division in another department, such as Education, etc. But if it is a non-adjudication office, such as a field office, you just have to keep trying but if worse comes to worse, you may have to go in person. It can be very, very frustrating. And if you are dealing with a deadline, mailing something, before to do so with proof of receipt, such as certified r.r.r. or UPS or Fed Ex.

When I call the analyst can I request that my father be added to the phone call -- to make it a three way conference call where my father can also ask questions? Yes, he shouldn't balk, so long as he has your permission. You can also appoint your father to be your representative by filling out an SSA-1696.

Are these phone conversations recorded? I do not believe so - at least not that I have heard.

How much weight do the analysts have in deciding the disability? They are the decision makers, so plenty. They do, however, often use medical experts.

CAn the analysts on their own decide that no additional physical exams are needed? Yes, although presumably they have an internal policy they follow. To learn that, you can look for a "POMs" write up, search for one that pertains to how they decide. No additional exam would occur if the evidence is sufficient to be definitive, as far as they are concerned - i.e. not disabled, OR, disabled.

the letter says that that it is analyst, level 2. How experienced is level 2? You'd have to ask him for his resume. They use many different titles, depending on the office.

How many levels are there for the analyst? Couldn't tell you.

Do you recommend or is it common to follow up with a letter summarizing the phone conversation. I do this regularly. Is it common for a layperson? PRobably not. But I am a cross the t's, dot the i's type of lawyer, and too many people have too many bad memories or conflicting interests, and so if the information is helpful to my client, I confirm it in writing, and of course, with tracking/proof of receipt.

Do the analysts require to answer your written inquires? No, not at all. 99% of the time (I may be slightly exaggerating, but you get my point) inquiries go ignored.

Should the analysts provide you with a an e-mail address - or the only means of communication is by phone and writing?
Phone, writing. SOme say they are not permitted to email, due it not being "secure" - which is hilarious considering that a high proportion of USPS mail gets lost. Security? lol. I trust email more than USPS these days. Ergo, I send by UPS with tracking and signature if it is remotely important/time constrained. It costs more, but it can prevent a case being defeated on allegations that you didn't send something that you know you did send, but have no proof of.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

thank you

The header on the letter states "New york State of Disability Assistance, Division of Disability Determination.

and is signed by the persons name with "Disability Analyst Unit" under it The person is located in the Binghampton, NY offcie (even though my correspondence to be sent to London, KY). Please note Binghampton is located about 120 miles from where I am located -- and there are closer Socilal Security offices to my location.

Based on the above how easy is it to reach that office? Do you know anything in particular in dealing with this office?

Since the office is loacted 120 miles form where I live -- it pretty much would preclude me going there in person -- would it be correct to say that in this case going to my local SSA office would be useless as the analyst is located in a different office?

OK, that is from the entity that makes the decision of substance, yes.

You will NOT be visiting the Binghamton office, no. They don't entertain visitors. I am a bit closer to Binghamton than you, where the ODAR hearings are. You can ALWAYS drop papers off at a field office closer to you. Note that SSA offices (field offices) do not adjudicate. There are only there to collect mail and send claims off to the next level where it can be adjudicated.

Again, if you have a person's NAME in the NY adjudication office, you can call him/her - usually there will be the general phone number PLUS his/her extension. I have nothing special to note about this office, no. They are what they are.

But again, its location is irrelevent, since that is not a place you visit - you just send additional evidence to your adjudicator, should you have any. When you appeal for a hearing, that is when it will be closer to your home. You put all your evidence, or correspondence, in writing to the adjudicator, if possible - even if you leave him a message or get him on the phone - confirmable mailing is a good idea.

And yes, your local field office is simply a clerical receptacle to recieve claims, there are no adjudicators there. In fact, despite directions to contrary, we don't even send medical evidence there when we do not yet KNOW the name and contact info for the adjudicator - this is because 50% of the time the evidence never gets connected to the file and the adjudicator never sees it. Rather, once we know there is an adjudicator, we call him or his office if that is all we can reach, and ask for a BAR CODE PAGE and corresponding FAX number to which we may fax the paperwork (if we don't want to send it UPS) - the bar code is unique to your/your case and best ensures your evidence ends up in your digital file.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

thank you. I sent the 424-BK (long form) about a months ago to the local office where I live. Based on what you are saying -- is it likely that the adjucator never received it in the Binghamton office?

Would it be correct to say that the role of the adjucator is to get all the forms from me and my medical doctors -- and then based on this information decide whether to ask for additional medical examination by SSA.When all the information is in -- then the role of the adjucator is to also decide whether to grant CDR or reject it -- or there is some possible intermediate step in between for the adjucator to do?

Just to clarify -- the adjucator is the same person whose name appears on this letter to me -- right?

No, if you sent it to the address you were directed to send it to, they likely got it. Next time, send it UPS though, so you can track that it got there.

Generally, yes, the adjudicator does what you mention, then follows the process SSA prescribes for CDRs. It can involve a CE exam, or not, depending on how he believes the evidence to direct. I can't imagine an intermediate step, although certainly every person/claimant/beneficiary claim is unique to some degree.

I can't see your letter, but if there is a NAME, a real name, with an extension to the number, that is typically an adjudicator. Why don't you call him and ask? They don't bite.
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq