Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband is currently 69, but started receiving Social Security

My husband is currently 69, but started receiving Social Security benefits at age 66. I am currently 61. Our Social Security benefits are calculated to be approximately the same, however I was the higher wage earner. At what age can I file for benefits based on FAASF (at 62, or do I need to wait until 66)? Then, as I understand it, at age 70 I can file under my own social security benefits record and get the maximum benefit ? We both are in good health and we both also have pretty good longevity in our families. Additionally, neither one of us is currently working and we would like to maximize our income.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry that your requested professional is not online. I can assist you with your quesion

MyVirtualCPA :

You can take your benefit based on FAASF at your full retirement age, but not before. You are not able to draw your spousal benefit prior to full retirement age and still allow your benefit to grow

MyVirtualCPA :

However, if you wait until full retirement age, you can take your benefit off your spouse's record and allow your benefit to grow to its max at age 70

MyVirtualCPA :

If you draw at age 62 you would not be able to later switch to your higher benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

Do you have any further questions?

MyVirtualCPA :

If so please reply below. If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today