Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I was married to my first husband for 22 years and then got

I was married to my first husband for 22 years and then got a divorce because of domestic abuse. I married someone else and when I was 62 I starting drawing my social security benefits, which were not much. In the meantime, my first husband passed away. Now I am thinking of getting a divorce from my second husband, can I get my first husband's social security benefits now?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today

MyVirtualCPA :

?

MyVirtualCPA :

Since you remarried after the age of 60, you can get your first husband's survivor benefit even though you are currently married to someone else

MyVirtualCPA :

So, in short - yes, you can draw a benefit off your first husband

Customer:

What if you married your second husband before you were 60, what happens then?

MyVirtualCPA :

If you married your second husband before 60 you couldn't get benefits off the first husband unless your marriage to th second husband ended in death or divorce

Customer:

So if I get a divorce from my second husband then I can receive my first husband's benefit's, is that right?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that is correct

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome. If you would, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today